Summer style isn’t all about bathing suits and beach bags, especially here in South Jersey, where a quality country club is never too far from home. Here, we take a look at this season’s hottest looks on the golf and tennis courts. From fashion-forward finds to the gear of the pros, these sporty pieces will make your opponents break a sweat and leave you looking fresh at the clubhouse.
1. Hole in One. The active woman needs the best gear to keep her moving. She’ll want to hit the green with these hybrid golf shoes, designed without the standard (and uncomfortable) metal golf spikes to create a more comfortable wear that fits like a normal active sneaker. Biom Hybrid Golf Shoe by ECCO, $189.99 at Golf Galaxy, 56 Centerton Road, Mount Laurel, (856) 793-0557, GolfGalaxy.com
2. Swing. Toting your gear around doesn’t have to be boring. In fact, this ladies’ tennis sling is proof that you can take your off-the-court style anywhere. It holds two raquets, along with wallets and personal effects, and comes with a single strap that can be unzipped and converted into a backpack. There’s even an insulated water bottle cooler built right in. Ostrich Camel Small Sling Elite Convertible by JetPac, $76 at Everyone’s Racquet, 127 Ark Road, Mount Laurel, (856) 778-7223, EveryonesRacquetNJ.com
3. Pro. When the U.S. Open swept through the Delaware Valley, it was hard to miss. Since then, we’ve been doing our best to perfect champion Justin Rose’s swing, and having the right tools never hurts. So we’re choosing his game-winning LETHAL golf balls, which have a seemless design made to reduce drag and increase flight. LETHAL golf balls by TaylorMade, $13 for a sleeve, $48 for a dozen at The Links Golf Club Pro Shop, 100 Majestic Way, Mount Laurel, (856) 983-2000, TheLinksGC.com
4. Break. Turn heads on the court in Lululemon’s flirty tennis dress (pictured). It’s made of a lightweight and flexible fabric that won’t tie you down, and has a built-in shelf bra with a concealable pocket on the side to hold keys or a cell phone during any particularly heated match. Hot Hitter Dress in Aquamarine by Lululemon, $98 at Lululemon Athletica, 500 Route 73 S., Marlton, (856) 983-0952, Lululemon.com
5. Slice. Hole in one, eagle, or just a fun day off, there’s always a reason to relax on the green. Light up your celebratory cigars with this top-of-the-line cigar cutter. Complete with its own leather carrying case, Savoy’s cutter has duel self-sharpening blades that create the cleanest cut. Savoy Cutter by Ashton Distrubutors, $29.95 at Hemingway’s Cigar Shoppe, 107 Merchants Way, Marlton, (856) 985-7580, Hemingways-Cigars.com
6. Ace. It seems like almost every pro on the golf course these days—including Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia and even Tiger, to name a few—is sporting a white belt. Embrace the trend with Nike’s spin on this hot accessory. It’s a fun and functional take on vintage styles of time’s past. Just leave the plaid pants at home. Men’s Tripunto G Flex Belt by Nike, $45 at Golfsmith, 401 Route 38, Moorestown, (856) 608-0877
7. Block. Whether on the green or on the court, keeping your skin protected is a summer-time essential. Murad blocks both harmful UVA and UVB rays in their paraben, GMO and sulfate-free sunscreen, while hydrating and refreshing your skin and protecting it from the elements that any athlete experiences on a daily basis. Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30 by Murad, $60 at Sephora, 1750 Deptford Center Road, Deptford, (856) 384-8500, Sephora.com
8. Eagle Eye. These frames are built for the active man, designed using a stress-resistant material and special Unobtainium grips that hold better as sweat develops. And they come standard with polarized lenses that reduce glare to create the best possible view, so no matter what you’re up against, you’re seeing clearly. Jupiter Square frames by Oakley, priced starting at $130 at Budd Optical & Cantando Eye Associates, 175 Route 70, Medford, (609) 451-1838, Budd-Optical.com
9. Fore. You’ve got to keep your gear in top shape. Keep it looking good during play and in the bag with Titleist’s knit head covers. They’ve got a quintessentially classic look, from the simple and bold colors all the way up to the pom-pom on top, and protects your clubs from bumping and scratching. Driver Head Cover by Titleist, $39.99 at Tavistock Country Club, 100 Tavistock Lane, Haddonfield, (856) 429-1866, TavistockCC.org, call to order
Published (and copyrighted) in South Jersey Magazine, Volume 10, Issue 4 (July, 2013).
For more info on South Jersey Magazine, click here.
To subscribe to South Jersey Magazine, click here.
To advertise in South Jersey Magazine, click here.